What does Ci Mancherebbe mean? In this article, I am going to answer this question. The idea for this article came from a conversation with a student of mine, who lives in Italy. She was interested in a sentence that she hears all the time: Ci Mancherebbe indeed!
If you don’t know its meaning or if you want to know more about keep reading! 🙂
I wrote this article after a specific request of a student of mine, who lives and works in Italy, who was a little confused by the expression “Ci Mancherebbe!”.She told me once: “I often hear this expression, from my colleagues and my friends, and I understand its meaning. But I can’t find other words to say the same.”
Ci Mancherebbe! is one of those expressions frequently used by Italians. And I am sure if you live in Italy or if you travel there often, you will listen to people using it!
We can attribute to Ci Mancherebbe two main meanings:
1. Ci mancherebbe as Absolutely yes, Of course!
- Mi daresti un passaggio in ufficio? Certo, ci mancherebbe! = Would you give me a ride to the office? Of course!
- Mi puoi sostituire per un’oretta? Devo fare una commissione! Ci mancherebbe altro, lo faccio volentieri! = Can you cover for me for about an hour? I have to run an errand! Of course, I do it willingly!
2. Ci mancherebbe as You are welcome!
- Grazie per avermi accompagnato in ufficio! Ci mancherebbe, è stato un piacere = Thanks for taking me to the office! You are welcome, my pleasure.
- Grazie per avermi sostituito! Ci mancherebbe altro! = Thank you for replacing me! Do not mention it!
In addition to these meanings corresponding to common Italianwords, we have two more:
As you noticed from this article, it’s easy to come across the expression Ci mancherebbe, because it corresponds to common words and phrases in Italian, such as you are welcome.
You can use words you are already familiar with, but to speed up your learning process, I want you to memorize this expression and to try to use them in your conversation.
You know that in general, I write inspired by my student’s questions and doubts, and I hope my answers will be useful for you too. If you have particular curiosities or questions, write them in the comments, it will be a pleasure for me to write an article on the topic you proposed!
Did you like this article called What does Ci mancherebbe mean?
Follow me on my socials: